Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Things To NOT Say To Someone With Trichotillomania



"I liked your long hair better."
"Why do you have a bald spot?"
"Where are your eyebrows?"
"How come you don't have any eyelashes?"
"Why do you keep fidgeting?"


You may be asking something like:
Why shouldn't I say these things to this person? What harm could it do? It's obvious that their hair is gone, so why can't I ask?

There are simple answers to this.
You should avoid saying/asking these things to someone with trich because it can often trigger someone's trichotillomania. It can also make the person feel very uncomfortable, and they may want to avoid carrying on any conversations with you out of fear that you'll bring it up more than just the once. Having to explain trichotillomania to someone can be a really stressful task, and stress can often cause trich to flare up.
If you're questioning whether or not you should ask the person a question that has to do with their hair, it's probably best to just avoid asking that question.

People with trich are often afraid that the only thing people notice about them is their lack of hair, and it's actually kind of scary trying to talk to someone new when you're worried that they'll bring up anything to do with their hair.

In my opinion, if you notice hair missing on someone where you think they should have hair, it's best to just not ask about it. If they become comfortable enough, the person will tell you about their trichotillomania on their own.

Be respectful! ☺

1 comment:

  1. I can see why it would be uncomfortable for you to have someone ask those kinds of questions. Sometimes people don't realize how the can hurt someone without even intending to. My husband and I have been dealing with infertility for several years now. Each time some asks why we don't have children it hurts, even though I don't think they mean for it to. Sometimes people just suck.

    ReplyDelete